Thursday, June 21, 2007

TT #3: Words of Warning

I had my students complete end of the year reflections, so that I that as I plan for next year, I could better meet their needs. Following the example of another teacher, I had my students do words of warning for the next year's students. I am going to place the 13 best here-- these were the most truthful and/or caused me to laugh. When I reflect on them, they are all classroom management issues. I may not handle them in the best way, but they helped make my second year better than my first.



Words of Warning for Ms. A's 2007-08 classes
from her 2006-07 students
  1. Don't walk around. I admit it, I can't stand students on the floor, especially when I'm teaching. It is distracting to everyone in the class.
  2. If you do not do the work, you will not pass the class. In my best church voice: AMEN!! SPEAK TRUTH, SISTA . . . the student who wrote this was mainstreamed into my class and managed to get no grade below a C on her report card (she had very few modifications)
  3. Don't fail! Many students wrote this. . . none of them offered solutions to not failing
  4. Don't make her mad or Don't get on her nerves. Again, many students said this. I guess they didn't like my lectures on misbehavior or inappropriate attitudes. One person could affect the whole class and the "fussing" for the day. I've really got to work on that one!
  5. Get on Ms. A's good side. What more can be said about this? It works for every teacher. However, this does not mean talk to me all the time; specifically during my lunch--I need peace and quiet.
  6. You will get a bunch of minus tens if you don't do what you are supposed to. This is my feeble attempt at classroom management. But it works. Students are aware that participation is worth 10% of their grade. If you are off task or not participating appropriately, you could loss 10 points. Conversely, if you amaze me, you can gain 10 points. "Minus 10" adds up at the end of the term.
  7. It's boring. I'm really trying to do better. Sometimes history/law isn't that interesting.
  8. Bring a jacket because it stays cold!!! She even put the explanation points. I always tell them that the temperature in the room is for me, not for them. And I even warn them to get a uniform compliant jacket. I can't stand the heat and I move around a lot. Therefore, I'm ALWAYS hot. This will never change; but EXCELLENT words of wisdom.
  9. Don't eat food in class. I got tired of seeing roaches in my classroom. So, depending on my mood: I'd eat it, I'd crush it; I'd put it in my drawer, I'd put it in the trash, I'd dance on it.
  10. Tuck in your shirt. I absolutely CAN NOT stand to see a slouchy young man. Droopy, baggy pants are my worst nightmare. Students could not enter my classroom until I stood post. I would check the guys clothes there. Guys would have to have their shirts tucked in a pants pulled up to there waist. "Start over" or "You look nice, today" were my favorite words. I hate this hip hop trend b/c you can't go into the real world and get a job looking like that.
  11. Have your notes. Sometimes, I'd give pop quizzes in which they could use their notes. Students quickly learned that the notebook and notes were important as their books.
  12. DON'T SLEEP! She wrote it in all caps. When people fall asleep, I sing loudly next to them. The singing is bad and the students get a good laugh. Sometimes, I let them pick the song. I can't sleep on the job, neither can anyone else!
  13. Be Quiet and Listen to the Lesson. Smart Girl!


Links to other Thursday Thirteens!

1. Thirteen Reasons Your School Should Hire CaliforniaTeacher Guy

2. Thirteen Things Lara Needs, According to Google

3. (Leave your link in the comments & I'll post it here)

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!






6 comments:

Lara said...

ooh, that's a good idea... having the kids write warnings for the next students. i just put up my own TT list. :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
A said...

I really love your idea to have your classes write words of wisdom to the next year's class. Excellent idea. I also laughed out loud at the idea of singing my students' awake if/when they fall asleep in class. I must remember that idea!

Anonymous said...

I love this idea too! It's going on my list of to-dos for our last week of school.

HappyChyck said...

I have my students write letters to upcoming students. The advice seems to basically be the same. Do you think we could make money off these universal truths of success?

Sadly next year's students will give the same advice because they didn't listen the advice when they received it, and they had to learn it the hard way. Sigh.

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

Good list! Amazing how much kids REALLY know about how a classroom operates--not that they always follow what they know!